I wish I'd known:
- The simplest location to create the wikidb directory, permission-wise, is in cgi-bin.
- For the "URL" noted in the Wiki config file, "/wiki.css" means the wiki file should be in the top level html directory. A fully-qualified URL like "http://www.ttwhy.org/~chai/css/default.css" can also be used!
- It's so easy to add the SandBox to the toolbar!
- There's a design snafu in UseMod:UseModWiki version 1.0 which which creates a nested html <form> element if you add a form to the gotobar present at the top and bottom of each page. I had to edit the wiki cgi script, moving the gotobar prints out of the form blocks.
- You can get rid of the annoying line break that's automatically created before the <form> tag by instead using <form style="display:inline; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px">
- Users should be warned ahead of time about edit conflicts. If 60 students work on the same assignment at the same time, you are guaranteed to get some, and it's nice if they aren't taken by surprise and accidentally blow away their own work.
- This isn't really about the Wiki; it's about the open source spreadsheet program for Linux, Gnumeric. None of the documentation online explains how to reference cell data in other worksheets. Unlike for [OpenOffice.org] Calc, which uses something to the effect of WorksheetName.CellReference, for Gnumeric the canonical form is 'WorksheetName'!CellReference. Go figure. So much for the documentation.